Pages

  • Home
  • About Tech Newshound
  • Forums

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Plex or XBMC

Here's a good article on the differences between Plex and XBMC -- two solid home theater apps. Both run on a variety of hardware. While I have an Apple TV 2 with XBMC and love it for its customization and multiplicity of apps, I have also found some inexpensive (less than $50) Wiis on Craigslist and have used them to run WiiMC (Wii Media Center) which connects to our computer and streams our movies, music, podcasts, and plays online streaming radio and DVDs. Also, the Wii now has apps to play YouTube, HuluPlus, and Netflix. The one downside is that it can only play video at 420p resolution, but since a used Wii can get all of these services for less than a Roku box and play some fun games to boot, I've found it to be a surprisingly capable and economical box for entertainment.

Should I Use Plex or XBMC for My Home Theater PC?
http://lifehacker.com/5991757/should-i-use-plex-or-xbmc-for-my-home-theater-pc

No comments:

Post a Comment